Frank De Boer's decision on resigning from the post of De Oranje manager after their stunning loss in EURO 2020 round of 16 has left KNVB in a difficult position. They have to find the replacement soon since the World Cup qualifier has been underway. Netherlands' next fixture is scheduled only a few months ahead, by taking on Erling Haaland and Co on September, 1. Several names have been suggested and on the radar of KNVB, with Nico Jan Hoogma is responsible for such task. The director of football in Dutch football federation seems to be eyeing for someone experienced with strong leadership figure. Koeman is apparently Hoogma's ideal role model they are aiming for.
"Ronald Koeman had a kind of aura about him: he really was the chief, the boss. That has worked very well and put us all on a certain path. I’m thinking in that direction, that’s the feeling I have.”, the former Heracle Almelo boss stated.
Here are the notable candidates under their consideration:
- Louis Van Gaal. A surprising candidate as the former Manchester United boss has called for his retirement. However, the 69-year old coach seems to have no objection to make his return for the third spell. His first spell ended in a total failure as Netherlands were unable to qualify in World Cup 2002. Yet, he paid his debt by leading Arjen Robben and Co to reach third place in Brasil 2014, including by smashing the host 3-0 and hammering Spain 5-1 along the way. His memorable accolade in the club was when he guided Ajax to win UCL (UEFA Champions League) in 1995.
- Henk Ten Cate. Rather unknown name for the head coach. The current manager of Al Wahda is more famous as an assistant manager for Frank Rijkaard while at the helm of Barcelona when Blaugrana won Champions League 2006 and Avram Grant's assistant in Chelsea while The Blues reached their first UCL final in 2008.
- Erik Ten Hag. The ideal one the entire fans are hoping to take up the job. The current Ajax boss is the most wanted one but quite unlikely to leave Der Amsterdammers due to his commitment to the club. Ten Hag has led his team to clinch Eredivisie and KNVB Cup titles for two years in a row, plus to reach UCL semifinal in 2019.
- Erwin Van de Looi. He is the current Netherlands U21 without any notable title but one, Dutch Cup 2015 when he took charge of Gronigen.
- Marcel Keizer. The current Al Jazira boss is the former Sporting Lisbon boss. He led the Portuguese side to clinch Portuguese Cup and League Cup 2019 after being in charge of Ajax in 2017.
- Henk Fraser. He is currently being at the helm of Sparta Rotterdam after his impressive stint in Vitesse when he helped the team win KNVB Cup 2017.
- Frank Rijkaard. One of the Dutch stars when they won their first and only international title, EURO 1988. Rijkaard's most well-known spell was when he guided Barcelona win their second UCL in 2006 and brought De Oranje to semifinal EURO 2000.
Apart from those names, the local media even put forward some other foreign names such as Zinedine Zidane, Rudi Garcia, Antonio Conte or even Kasper Hjulmand, to be hired by KNVB as this could be a perfect moment for considering them. They seem to be pondering sucj option although no officially cofirmed yet. Should they appoint the new De Oranje manager soon, Van Gaal or Rijkaard could be a suitable choice at the moment as they are not attached to any club.