Newcastle United has begun their hunt for the high-profile names, one of whom is Kieran Trippier, to save their campaign this season to stay in the top flight.
The Magpies have risen to be one of the richest clubs in UK and Europe. Yet, their position in the standing is not exactly safe yet. Sitting on the 19th is definitely not an ideal position for such wealthy club. Therefore, they are tasked on one mission first this season, avoiding relegation. However, such would be challenging with their current squad. Bolstering it would be necessary and the arrival of the former Atletico Madrid man, Kieran Trippier is just the beginning. There have been several names tipped for a move to St. James’ Park. Yet, it would not be easy for them to lure those targets considering the fact that fighting over relegation threat is definitely a setback from striving in the continental competition. Here are those expected winter signings for Eddie Howe’s men:
- Sven Botman: Lille’s defender has been linked to the Premier League side since last year and signing for The Tyneside would be his dream move since his current club is still struggling in the mid table, despite being able to advance to the round of 16 at the Champions League. Such would be the main obstacle for capturing his signature. The 21-year old Dutch seems to be keen on staying for UCL games chance.
- Aaron Ramsey: The unwanted name in Max Allegri’s squad this season seems fit for the role in the midfield, precisely as the number ten, something which Newcastle United is lacking off. The 31-year old Welsh has been given a green light by Juventus to switch side this month for free. He is reportedly still waiting for the personal contact with The Magpies. Ramsey is definitely a great addition to Howe’s squad but his prone to injuries could be something they can leave out. The former Arsenal man has been struggling for recovery in the past few months.
- Samuel Umtiti: The French centre back is absolutely important for The Toon Army’s defensive reinforcement. His experience in the high level competition and winning mentality is undoubtedly great. Signing it should be easy too as Umtiti has been frozen out in Barcelona. The £17 million signing fee would be easy to cover for the Saudi-owned club through Saudi Arabian Public Investment Fund. Unfortunately, there has not been any official talks between both parties.
- Pierre Aubameyang: The Arsenal forward whose captain armband has been stripped by The Gunners has been reportedly ready to allow him to go with £20 million price tag. The Gabonese striker left his team early for African Cup of Nations (AFCON). It will be interesting to see their official talk regarding Auba’s move in January.
- Gareth Bale: The outcast in Santiago Bernabeu is the next likely target. The 32-year old winger has a high wage demand which Newcastle could fulfil. Bale has not been the key figure in Madrid anymore in the past three seasons but has proven that the former Spurs man has the quality of his own when given a chance. His impressive six-month loan spell with Harry Kane and Co in 2021 was the solid evidence. It could be his one last shot to play in the Premier League before his early retirement. The winger is said to hang his boots next season, should Wales fail to qualify to Qatar 2022. They are now only two steps away from the final round after their debut in Sweden 1958.
Aside from them, there are some other names rumoured to be linked with a possible signings such as Gladbach's Mathias Ginter, and Zenit forward Serdar Azmoun. Nevertheless, there has yet been any official contact from The Magpies to secure the Germany and Iran international this month.