After signing Ferran Torres and releasing Philippe Coutinho on loan, Barcelona is eyeing a number of names this month to bolster their squad despite their financial crisis.
The arrival Manchester City man followed by the departure of the former Liverpool and Inter Milan creative midfielder plus the youngster Alex Collado on loan to Aston Villa and Granada respectively during the winter transfer window indicates Barcelona's immediate squad reinforcement. Such is only the beginning. The Catalan side is believed to consider a number of options to capture new signings for this month and the summer. Several players have been linked and touted by the media. Their targets surprisingly stretches in the wide range of names, from the current superstar to the ones who have been out of the spotlight in European football. Here are those players on the hunt.
- Isco. This news come fresh recently as Barcelona boss, Xavi, has reportedly lured the unwanted Real Madrid man to plot a move to Camp Nou next summer. The 29-year old midfielder suits best for the number ten role but can also feature as the winger. The player himself has agreed to join the archrival. If it is confirmed, he will be the first one to switch side between two La Liga giants since Javier Saviola in 2007.
- Alvaro Morata. The Spain international striker has been tipped for a move on loan to Blaugrana this month. However, there is a complexity in this plan since his current club, Juventus, is not keen on releasing the 29-year old forward in the middle of the season unless they have already snatched an equal replacement, nor on buying him permanently at the end of the season, which is not what Atletico Madrid, Morata's current parent club, exactly wishes. They prefer to sell him next summer. Barcelona, on the other hand, have no objection to do so. It will be interesting to see how the transfer can be capitalized as it might be done on the last minutes.
- Oscar. The former Chelsea attacking midfielder has sprung on their list as a possible replacement for Coutinho. The 30-year old Brazilian is currently playing for Shanghai Port and deemed interested in the offer. Yet, he is still tied up with the contract till November 2024, which could be a hurdle in the process.
- Lisandro Martinez. The Ajax defender is likely to be captured next summer as a potential replacement for the aging Gerard Pique who will be turning 35 years old this year. He is versatile since he could be deployed as a center back as well as a left back.
- Adama Traore. The Wolves winger would be a great addition for the squad due to his excellent pace, acceleration and versatility. Xavi is also keen on adding La Masia academy graduate next season. Blaugrana's collaboration with Wolves and his agent, Jorge Mendes, is in their best terms. The Premier League side have enjoyed the advantage of clinching the deal on Nelson Semedo and Trincao last summer, which could be a decisive factor in Traore's move.
- Erling Haaland. He is one of the most wanted forwards in the transfer window today and almost all European high profile sides have been waiting in line to sign him. Nevertheless, the Norwegian international does not seem to be in a rush to decide his future. His interest in playing for La Liga and igniting a star rivalry with Kylian Mbappe could come true, should he opt for Barcelona instead of being in the same team with Mbappe in Real Madrid. Joan Laporta is working hard on this marquee transfer for the sake of global brand marketing which could generate higher revenue for the saving the club's finance. He is even ready to propose more loan for the sake of this move.